Detoxification has become a hot topic, especially nowadays due to the environment we live. As the scientific and medical literature suggest, we are all toxic. There are several ways that we can detoxify. To help reduce the toxic loads on the body, it is good to eat phytonutrients which will facilitate the detoxification processes.
Phytonutrients are found in colourful and tasty fruits and vegetables. Eating fruits and vegetables on a daily basis will not only stimulate detoxification pathways, but they will protect your organs and tissues due to their powerful antioxidant functions.
Phytonutrients are the colourful path to detoxification and the five classes of which the sole purpose is to fight toxins are:
- Curcumin: You can take it by incorporating turmeric into your food. It is known as a super spice that fights inflammation, binds the heavy metals in the body and upregulates the production of enzymes responsible for the detoxification pathways.
- Flavonoids: These antioxidants bind to heavy metals in the body and aid in the removal of toxins from the body through urine. Flavonoids can be found in oranges, parsley, cilantro, onions, blueberries and apples.
- Organosulphur compounds: If you are a fan of garlic, onions, broccoli, kale, cabbage and cauliflower then you will enjoy detoxifying your body with this phytonutrient. Organosulphur compounds act similarly to curcumin as they bind to and aim in the removal of heavy metals and they also boost the detoxifying enzymes.
- Quercetin: It is found in apples, citrus fruits, parsley, onions, tea, nuts, and dark berries like blackberries, blueberries, and bilberries. It is known as a useful anti-inflammatory composite which binds toxins in the body and neutralizes them.
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG): The best source of EGCG is green tea and its variables. This phytonutrient triggers amplified production of certain enzymes and genes responsible for POP detoxification. It helps the natural systems of the body to cleanse it from toxins more effectively and efficiently.